ANDREW T. LYOS, MD, FACS
- Since its development decades ago, Injectable collagen has helped millions of people improve their appearances.
- Collagen is a natural protein which cushions and supports the skin. Lines, creases, and scars gradually and inevitably form as this underlying layer is worn down or damaged by age, injury, or sickness. When injected into the skin, even in minute quantities, collagen forces the skin to expand, improving and sometimes eliminating facial lines, creases, and wrinkles. The expansion may be extremely slight, but frequently enough to make a dramatic difference in appearance. It also allows the body to replenish its own collagen and make skin smoother and younger looking.
- Unlike collagen moisturizers, which simply place the collagen on top of the skin, injectable collagen is placed directly into the skin, just beneath the surface. Here, it binds with your body's own collagen, strengthening it and improving the surface of the skin. Since it is 100 percent natural protein, collagen is readily acceptable by your body.
- Injectable collagen can be extremely effective in smoothing and softening shallow lines such as those around your lips and corners of your eyes. It is also effective at filling deeper depressions such as the furrows that form between the eyebrows. Even certain types of scars can be improved through collagen injection.
- Treatment with collagen begins after a skin test to determine possible sensitivity. Collagen is injected using a very fine needle inserted at several points along the edge of the treatment area.
- Immediately following treatment, some minor discomfort, stinging, or throbbing may occur in the injected area. Sometimes, bruising or swelling occurs, but it is usually minor. No bandaging is needed and you may eat, drink, and wear makeup with sun block protection shortly thereafter.
- Since collagen is gradually absorbed by your body, touch up injections are usually required two or three times a year. This is one of plastic surgery's fastest growing and most popular procedures. It is one of the most frequently performed procedures in Dr. Lyos' office and with relatively little discomfort. The results are immediate and dramatic. In just minutes, wrinkles, lines, and creases can be greatly improved and even eliminated.